Friday 24 May 2024

Hunting Snails

From Facebook Archives

24 May 2020 at 23.25
I've restarted the pre-bed snail hunt and picked up 7 of the little beasties both this evening and last night.
The honeysuckle smells specially wonderful after sunset.
Faye  I was up at 5am and collected 50.   
They are demolishing the cauliflower and pumpkin plants and carrots are a no-show thanks to them. I relocate them far away from gardens.
Bentonbag  I put them in the brown garden waste wheely bin and North Tyneside Council, unwittingly, take them away.
I think there was a citizen's science study a few years ago where a woman worked out (by putting different coloured blobs of nail varnish on their shells) how far you have to take a snail so it won't get back. 
According to this Guardian report it's at least 20 metres, so that's Social Distancing x10 https://www.theguardian.com/.../snails-homing-instinct...
Faye  Some of mine have been dropped off in a lay-by on the way to Wooler, so I don’t think they’ll be back
Bentonbag  None tonight
Faye  12.40am - 25 of the worst offenders caught red-handed! 
If Dominic Cummings had driven 260 miles because he had a box of slugs to relocate I would have understood.
Best to get them now before they start popping out eggs - 50 per week per over the summer.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment