Tuesday 2 August 2016

In flagrante feline?

First posted May 2010


The young couple next door recently acquired 2 young cats from the local shelter.  They are not allowed out as they haven’t been spayed yet, and one of them is on heat.  Onheat wanders the house yowling loud enough to be heard through the shared wall, trying to flirt with our Felix through the double glazing (an utter waste of time but she’s not to know) and desperate to be out.

Late this afternoon I noticed the lady from the last house across the road going up next door’s path.  Some minutes later she came to my gate so I went out to meet her …

“Do you know your neighbours at all?” she asked  “It’s just that one of their cats has got out of the bedroom window onto the top of the bay underneath and I think she’s going to try and jump on to the porch.  And I think the other might follow her.”

So I went next door with her to find a rather Egyptian looking tabby glaring at us from the top of the porch.  Had she jumped down there was a distinct possibility that she’d hurt herself.  Not to mention running off and finding an intact tom to play with

“I’ve tried ringing the door bell but there’s no answer” said Mrs Lasthouse “Their car is here though.  Do you know if they’re in?”

“Well I’ve got a spare key, maybe I could go in and entice her back in through the window?” I said rather dubiously.

“I’ve got my ladders out” says Mrs Lasthouse “Maybe she’d climb down a ladder.  My cat does.  Then we could put her back in.”

At this point Felix slipped through the hedge and started disporting himself on the doormat.

So she went and fetched the ladder.  I picked up Felix and shut him in the kitchen.  Gave a quick yoo-hoo over the fence to check there was no-one in next door’s back garden and fetched the key and a box of munchies.

Just as we were about to put the ladder up the hall door opened and Ms Youngcouple appeared flustered and in a bath robe. 

“That’ll teach us to have a bath and leave the bedroom window open” she said as Mr Youngcouple appeared at the upstairs window, in a bathrobe, and Onheat slunk back in again.

Mrs Lasthouse and I gave her a smile, and each other an old fashioned look, and managed to make it back to the pavement without giggling.

Well – it has been a very hot and sticky day.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment