Wednesday 15 March 2017

Dad’s Wise Words



Another visit with Dad

Tuesday 7 April 2009

This system of dropping the boys off at Llety Mieri and going to see Dad on my own really works.  We can do more things.  The boys can get their tea when they want.  I can be with Dad without worrying about them or what they may do.
Dad’s memory is so poor it makes little difference to him.
He was quite grumpy when I got there this afternoon, and cold.   
But a blanket and a chat cheered him up.

I said at one point “there’s another elderly gentleman here.”
“That’s good of you to call us elderly gentlemen, not old hulks.”
“Well I was brought up properly.”

At another point I used the word comparatively.
“Oh comparatively!  There’s a long word.  There’s posh”
There’s still life while he can take the Michael.

A couple of days later Dad asked me how old he was, his reply when I told him should be inscribed in stone and shown to every young person who thinks they have all the time in the world.

“Ninety two. 
There’s a life gone by quickly. 
You’re born, 
you grow up, 
you go back,
and if you’ve been good you get put in a nice grave.”

No comments:

Post a Comment