Tuesday 21 March 2017

Re coil



Facebook’s timehop threw up this posting

GP has just rung to ask if I want my coil taking out anytime soon. It's been in so long she (the doctor) has forgotten it wasn't a hormone one so theoretically can stay in for ever. If getting it out is anything like getting it in I'd prefer to wait for the undertaker to pick a bit of molten copper out of my ashes if it's all the same with her...

AH - Lucky you.....coil didn't work with moi, I bought him a HD flat screen tv to stop any further pregnancies
***

I was 39 when Thunderthighs (aka No2son) was born.
I’d never been happy taking pill and decided that a coil would be a better option so made the appointment.
“You’re coming with me” I said to Fester.
“What!?!”
“Well it’s as much for your benefit as mine.  I don’t see why I should suffer alone.”

He was there at both births.

So he trotted along with me.
My lady GP Dr M was quite surprised, as was the practice nurse.
I don’t think they’d seen the like.

In the surgery I lay on the couch, Fester sat on the chair.
Pulling the curtain around the couch Dr M asked
“Do you want to be this side of the curtain?”
“I’m fine out here thanks.”
Dr M, obviously tickled by the situation, “The coil isn’t the only option you know.  There is such a thing as vasectomy.”
Grunt
“We’ve got a couple of bricks out the back ….”

I shall draw a veil over the rest of the proceedings for fear of frightening the horses.

Organised family planning first started in the Victorian era when it was seen as “women’s things”.
That attitude remains, for the most part.
I quite understand that pregnancy, childbirth and childcare impacts entirely on women’s bodies, careers and social lives (with the exception of those very few men who chose to be househusbands).  The financial impacts hit men as well, but only if they stick around or can be caught and made to pay maintenance.
That aside it only seems fair that, as both of you are in on the conception, both of you should be responsible for the contraception.  
The least a gentleman can do is provide moral support whilst one is having a fence installed in one’s lady-garden.

Mind you I got a firm “No” when I suggested he accompany me when it was finally removed.
I don’t think he relished another meeting with Dr M.

No comments:

Post a Comment