Saturday 4 November 2023

Only A True Gentleman Knows

From Facebook Archives

4 November 2019 at 08:39 

When I was a student back in the late 1970s 
Tony Byrne insisted on walking me safely home from a Cathsoc do one night.   
I noticed that every time we crossed the road he placed himself on the roadside edge of the pavement.  
When I commented that my mother had told me that was a sign of a gentleman and he replied 
"That's my Gran.  Everytime we went out and I didn't walk on the outside she'd smack me around the head and tell me not to be rude."
Ms VM  My father always walked on the outside too. I've never seen any man do that for years.  Of course nowadays people will consider it sexist, but I think it shows thoughfulness and respect.
Bentonbag  My mother told me it was so the gentleman could protect the lady from footpads and vehicles, and in bad weather any water thrown up by passing vehicles would hit him first and not ruin her dress.  She also said a gentleman goes upstairs second and downstairs first so that he can catch a lady should she trip on the stairs. 
Bess Cavalier  It’s so that a gentleman can draw his sword easily without his female companion getting in the way.  Doesn’t work if he is left handed though!  
McChurch  I`ll tell you what’s really wrong with that picture:  Toerag on a moped, zoom - that handbag`s away.
Bentonnag  Precisely
Dicky Brown If it was a gentleman in the picture, the toerag would cut his hand on the gentleman's sword!
Mr Twifty  Surely no Gentleman would wear brown shoes with a dark suit
Bentonbag  And he appears to have his hands in his pockets.
Paddington So true Mr Twifty.  One of my all time hates.  But seems the norm at the moment

No comments:

Post a Comment