Saturday 25 November 2023

Oneupmanship?

Since the last blogpost I have:-

    Been to a LDNE Finance Sub Committee meeting (as good as it sounds)
    Phil’s last auntie’s funeral, which was surprisingly lovely, as was seeing his cousins and niece.
    Driven to Chesterfield to spend the weekend with Middlesister.
    Had a WI meeting making baubles.
    Spent a day in bed trying to shake off this bug.
    Taken both boys for their dental checkups.
    Had an evening with Mrs Eft and friends I’ve not seen for decades.
    Been to knit and natter.
The lurgie has settled on my chest and Thunderthighs says I am “coughing like an old banger” (meaning a car).
Hence no energy for blogs and nothing in the archives for today…
So I’ve had a look back to ones you might have got had I the health and strength to dig them out

Facebook Archives 
22 November 2013 at 09:46 
50 years ago today Dad passed his driving test on a cold wet Welsh November day. 
I remember because I was sitting trying to get warm on the hearthrug next to the coal fire (whistling kettle whispering to itself) and Dad came in with a joyful 
"I passed".
Mother comes out of the kitchen drying something on a tea-towel and says "President Kennedy's been shot."
I'm not sure whether that was the ultimate oneupmanship with news or wetblanketing putdown.
Bess Cavalier  Funnily enough, I was sitting by an open fire as well, waiting for Mum to come and read to us before bedtime.  I remember her saying she was too upset to read just now because President Kennedy had been shot.  It was my first real moment of awareness of events in a wider world.
Darklady  I was watching a film at the Astra Cinema on RAF Colerne in Wiltshire when the film stopped, the lights came on & Some bod in uniform told us the news of Kennedy's death.  Forgotten which movie just remember everyone filing out in utter silence.
Kippa  I heard it on AFN while searching for radio pirates on a huge radio that my family had recently acquired.
Should add that the rest of the family were in the front room watching the TV which we acquired at the same time. My mother did not want to believe me when I went through to tell her the news. It seemed like ages before the sad news appeared on the telly.
McChurch  I was off the coast of Scotland on HMS Venus.  The first we knew was on daily orders for the following day, with the comment that we were not expecting to go to a heightened degree of readiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment