Saturday 11 June 2016

Dancing Grannies and Great Aunts



A chimera of posts from 2008

In the Summer of 2008 Tyne Bridge Morris performed at The Big Green Seaside Station Day at Whitley Bay.


As I arrived a young lady with a toddler and a baby in a pushchair came up to me.  It was my late husband Phil’s niece with his great nephew and niece.  She’d spotted the team’s name in the paper and come down especially to see us.  It was lovely to see her, as we’d not got together in years.

At Christmas Tyne Bridge danced at North ShieldsVictorian Christmas Market.  Almost everybody turned up and most of the dances went well. 


Philsniece came along to see us with her two toddlers and husband.  After seeing us at The Big Green Seaside Station Day at Whitley Bay she had tried to explain to her little boy the relationship between me, her and him. 

Sadly about five years after Phil died cancer also claimed his sister Pat.  So Philsneice explained to Littleboy that I had been married to the brother of the grandma that he’d never met.  Which is probably even more confusing to a three year old than it has been to you, dear reader.

Ever since, whenever they’ve passed Whitley Bay Metro Littleboy has said “That’s where we saw my dancing grannies.”

Which is a great name for a dance team don’t you think?

It dawned on me while we were chatting that Phil would have been Littleboy and Littlegirl’s great uncle.

Which probably makes me their great aunt.

“Great Aunt Brenda” - I suddenly feel terribly old and in need of a sweet sherry and some rich tea biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment