Wednesday 22 June 2016

Asda Adventure



First posted May 2009

 I just want to say how nice I think the staff in Adsa Benton are…

We’ve shopped there fairly regularly ever since the boys were babies (when it was the Co-op Hypermarket).  Number One Son is off school today for a Training Day so had to come with me on an emergency ‘phone buying trip (£10 for a PhoneEasy record on special offer).

As usual he took himself off to the DVDs and was insistent on buying Skins.  I was insistent that he wouldn’t.  He kept calm until we reached the bread buns then started to kick off and run away.  
I usually chase after him but my inflamed Achilles tendon and general grumpiness stopped me.  He disappeared off through the tills.

I paid for my purchases, went to the greeter and asked if she’d seen a large boy wearing ear defenders go out of the store.
“Oh I know him” she said “no he hasn’t”

He wasn’t at the DVDs as I’d expected so I went to put the shopping in the car and he wasn’t there either.

Back to the store and the greeter who handed me over to a security man. 
I gave him the description.
“Oh yes, we know him.  Come and have a look on the cameras.”

He took me into the camera room and explained things to the security man there.
“Oh yes, we know him, sit down pet, I’ll go and have a look.”

Security man two went out while security man one and I sat and looked at the various cctv screens.

After a few moment the ‘phone rang.
It was security man two “He’s on a bench down by McDonalds.”

Security man one panned the cctv camera around and there he was.

Deep sigh of relief, many thank-yous and off to McDonalds to find a by now slightly scared and chastened Number One Son.

It’s so easy to forget that people in the places you visit regularly are watching your children growing up as well.  If you have a child, especially one with special needs, it is heartening and reassuring to know that people recognise and care about them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment