Friday 10 June 2016

Oliver Postgate RIP



 First posted December 2008

I was two years old when Oliver Postgate first started making his Smallfilms so I could go on about his being the voice of my childhood.  Except that the whole family seemed to watch and enjoy Noggin the Nog just before the evening news: from the preschool me, through my teenage brother and sisters to our Mum and Dad and Grandma.

No. I am forever grateful to Oliver Postgate for the Clangers which kept me sane when my children were toddlers.  They were born less than two years apart, and are both on the autistic spectrum (though we didn’t find out until they got to nursery).  The toddler didn’t respond when you spoke to him.  The baby was screamy and demanded to be held at all times.  There were times when I just had to close the door and walk out into the garden so that I wouldn’t do one or the other harm.

Then, one day, firstborn put on a Clangers video.  Oliver’s calm voice and the slow serene opening sequences worked some magic.  I picked up the baby and lay on the couch and gradually the tension began to seep away and I relaxed.

No drugs.   
No counselling.  
No yoga.   

Just Oliver’s beautiful voice echoing through the Universe.

Thank you Mr Postgate.

No comments:

Post a Comment