Wednesday 15 June 2016

The Wheel Turns …



First posted January 2009

Maybe it’s because we’re all getting older and tired, but it seems a long time since we went to the pub after Tyne Bridge practice.  So much so that Number Two Son has got used to me getting home just after ten and listening to BBC Radio 7 with him in bed (some excellent old shows there by the way).

However, last night Squeezeboxboy and Miss Flute turned up and persuaded Banjoman to go the Punchbowl (now under new management) and “play some tunes.”  District Nurse and Newgirl came along too – I never miss the opportunity to spend time in a pub.

Sitting down with my lime’n’soda (no ice) I realised that No2 would start getting anxious so I got out my mobile and ‘phoned home to let him know that all was well and I’d be home about half past eleven.

As I switched off the ‘phone I realised that the wheel had turned almost full circle.

When I came up here to University, aged 19, one of the great joys was being able to come and go as I pleased, any hour of the day or night knowing that nobody was going to be waiting up or worrying about me.  Mum was nearly 400 miles away with no idea what I was up to and therefore unable to get anxious about it.  It was quite a relief to be free of someone else worrying about me.  (Aren’t we callous and selfish when we are young?)

And now I’m ‘phoning my child to reassure him, because now he’s worrying about me instead.

The wheel turns ….

No comments:

Post a Comment