Wednesday 14 February 2018

Marriage Lines



This evening, following some big family news, Fester and I started chatting about our wedding.
We’ve been together almost twenty-five years and married five years ago. 
Having been widowed less than two years after my first wedding I really hated the idea of guests thinking "I hope this one lasts".
Fester hates fuss and ritural.
So it was a very quiet wedding, just us, the boys and the witnesses, and the family and friends were informed later.

The conversation went something like this: me in the bathroom doorway, him prone in the bath with the Guardian ...

"<Youngfemalerelation> has received a proposal of marriage."
"What did she say?"
"What do you mean 'what did she say?'?"
"Did she say yes?"
"Of course she said yes!  You don't tell anybody unless you say yes."
"Well I don't know about these things."
"Well I do.  I've had more than one proposal of marriage you know.  You either say nothing and tell no-one, or you say yes."
"Our wedding was your idea."
"Was it?  I know I had to organise everything."
“Any way - I paid for it!” he protested.
“Not as much as I have” I retorted “in oh so many ways.”
“It cost me fifty quid” he has never sounded more Yorkshire.
Then “And lunch on the day!”
“Don’t forget the new clothes for you and the boys.”
“My God, the shirts cost me £50 each!”

Apparently it was worth it.

“I’m very happy with the deal” he says “It’s you that that gets wickt off wi' it.”

Happy Valentine’s Day

1 comment: