Sunday 27 June 2021

Fester's Phone Manner

When we first got a telephone at home Mum taught me how to answer it appropriately 

“Hello this is <<our number>>.  Who’s calling please?”
Working in advertising, marketing and public relations I’ve developed a definite telephone manner and ‘voice’. 
Being a scientist Fester hasn’t had this training or experience so most of the time his telephone manner could be described as perfunctory or even abrupt (unless of course I’m on the phone and he’s chipping in).
All phone calls about the boys to schools, education officers, social workers, doctors, dentists, and officialdom in general, are down to me.
But his brother’s sudden death in 2012 meant he had of necessity to speak on the phone to the police, coroner, solicitor, undertaker and friends, family and aged relatives of him and his brother.
It exposed a completely different facet of to his personality.

From Facebook archives three weeks after Littlebrother died …

27 June 2012 at 18:45

I find it really funny listening to Fester being pleasant and polite to people on the 'phone.

So different to hearing him scream "we've got f*****g Telephone Preference Service you tw*t so p**s off and don't phone this f*****g number again" at cold callers.

One does wonder whether an Indian in Mumbai knows what a tw*t is.

Kentishlady  Could you record him doing the rant?  I need some way to put the tw*ts off calling me on my mobile!
Paganess  Oh yes, you could market it and make your fortune!
Bentonbag   I've come to realise he has 2 telephone manners: smarmy and rabid.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment