Monday 28 June 2021

Jenga

Due to the present unpleasantness there have been no Adult Learning classes available for Learning Disabled and Autistic people since March 2020.

Erica tells me they may be starting up again in September, but I’m not sure I have the energy to make enquiries, let alone organise anything.
Most of the time I make light of life, but every now and again I have to let off steam.

From Facebook archives …

28 June 2018 at 19:05 

I sometimes think my life is a bit like a game of Jenga.

No sooner do I get it all sorted than some bugger pulls a plank out somewhere. 

 

Ferretfingers really seems to enjoy and benefit from his Wednesday morning Adult Learning Alliance Recycled Art Class.   

They've brought out new timetables for next academic year and Recycled Art is shifted to a Tuesday afternoon.   

Tuesdays he’s at the Rising Sun Farm.   

So if he’s to continue Recycled Art I have to change his Rising Sun day, putting him in with a different group of people, or find another similar session elsewhere. 

There's no way I'm changing his days at the Rising Sun, or the Gary Mather centre, 

he seems to be settled and like the people he's with on those days.

 

Anyway, they had an 'open session' this afternoon and some courses are on different days in different terms, or only on for one term not all three.  

Great for people with learning disabilities/autism who need structure and consistency in their lives! 

I believe ALA are blaming Ofsted or the council or both. 

The good news is there is a DIY for Independent Living course* on a Thursday morning for all three terms which might suit him.  Naturally that was the course about which there was no information sheet (we await an email).  

If I get him on it his support could walk him down to the Parks afterwards and we could meet up for trampolining;  unless of course they change the time or day for that over the summer (it has been known).   

It would also mean changing his personal support from a Wednesday to a Thursday and me having him all to myself all day Wednesday.  Not that much of a problem as it means we could get some decent walks in - lots of trips to Druridge, Hadrian's Wall etc.

 

It's just that being continually buggered about gets to you.

Ms Exlibris Ben I have no idea how you deal with this, it would cause me so much stress.

Erica It’s total madness for no reason and we’re in the same boat . Days and courses will change each term but hopefully will resemble cooking and flowers/art.
Mrs Allotment I hope you can get something sorted. And I'm pleased you posted because we've dropped off their radar completely and wouldn't have known the prospectus was even out. I'm a cynic and think they don't send out course details to avoid over subscription, you've got to already be doing a course to be on the list. 
Not helpful if you're someone who doesn't find a suitable course every year, so dips in and out as appropriate. Grumble, grumble........
Erica Nothing gets sent out. It’s supposed to be on the website too.
Enrolment starts 4th July and you can phone or go to Langdale.
They might ask for an assessment so if you phone them today you should be able to get an appointment. Hope you find what you want.
Mrs Allotment Thanks Erica, I'll follow this up

*When I phoned to enquired about this course I was told it was reserved for pupils from a particular special school.  By the time I’d queried why, then, was it on the public prospectus, and got no satisfactory reply, it was full.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment