Monday 31 July 2023

The Break in Transmission #2 Being Poorly etc

Continuing on from yesterday’s blog

“When Ferretfingers broke his ankle  
(7th February 2020) I found blogging about it then emailing and sharing a link was a really good way of keeping friends and family informed.
"As lockdown commenced I realised some people were actually looking forward to the daily updates, and other tales from Chateaux Midden, so resolved to keep blogging daily until there was no longer any need.  Having got into the habit I continued into the ‘new normal’, although I’m sure some people thought I’d amused them for long enough long before that.
"If, dear reader, you were wondering what was meant by “Family commitments, being poorly, holidays and generally looking after myself” in the blog “It never rains” then the next two blogs will elucidate and explain.”

In February Middlesister’s husband celebrated his 80th birthday.

Shortly thereafter his health deteriorated and he passed away at the end of April.
Whilst he was poorly the siblings and their spouses rallied around, as did Middlesister’s friends from her nurse-training days.  They stayed with her and helped care for him. 
We knew it was not an illness he would recover from so my plan was to go down and stay for a little while ‘afterward’.  At that time I was the only one of us to have been widowed.

Thunderthighs came down to Derbyshire for two nights with me for the funeral on

26th May and I intended returning on 1st June for a long weekend.
But when I got up that morning the room started spinning and I had to quickly lie down again.

Labrynthitis.

It’s an inner ear infection and I’ve had it before, usually after a head cold or sore throat.

The only thing to do is to lie still, drink loads and wait for it to go away.
It’s best to close your eyes so you can’t see the ceiling tiles moving.
It’s a bit like when I was young, drank too much and got ‘the swirling pits’, but without any of the fun. 
Walking to the loo was interesting as my balance was gone.  I bounced off every door jamb and worried I might not get past the top of the stairs without tumbling down them (going downstairs was a no no).  When I eventually sat on the loo I put my hands to the sides of my head and braced my elbows against the walls to try and persuade my brain it wasn’t moving.  I was seriously worried I might throw up and what that would do to the cork floor-tiles.

I had to phone Middlesister and explain I couldn’t go (thank the Lord for cordless phones).

She and the family were very understanding.
But the message from them, most of my friends and, I think, my body was 
“slow down and get a rest.”
As Mrs Quilt said “For goodness sake woman!  When I go and see people our age they’re sitting in front of day time tv with all their chores done by lunchtime.  
 Give yourself a break.”

We had a family holiday booked for the third week of June, which involved me driving to Sheffield, Exeter, Bournemouth and then back home.  Knowing that I made an effort to be still and get properly rested and fit.

Something had to go.

So instead of coming in here and doing the blog every morning I took time to get breakfast and not stress myself by being rushed and rushing Ferretfingers to be ready.  

I acquired a sunlounger and spent a day reading in the garden.  I spent another day reading on the chaise longue.  I forgave myself for the time spent sitting staring into the pond, or up at the leaves.  I allowed myself to get off the hamster wheel from time to time.

I did get to see Middlesister.  We had an afternoon together when the boys were exploring the outer reaches of the Sheffield tram and bus systems.  She also stayed at our hotel in Bournemouth for a couple of nights.  We were all down there to see the niece, her daughter and her twins on their first birthday.

There will still be a blog.

But not necessarily first thing in the morning.
And only on those days when I don’t need to be somewhere.
Unless there’s a doozie of a Facebook memory or incident chez Chateaux Midden.
Let’s call it the new normal service.

No comments:

Post a Comment