Thursday 20 July 2023

Funereal Thoughts

Mrs Poet posted this on Facebook the other day
“Two hours later, back in the guesthouse, attending online the funeral of my lovely cousin and am in tears.  Interspersed with laughter.  As is the case with my family. Thank you, cousins, for the sendoff you gave him. Xxx”
 
Which prompted me to reply with
“All funerals should be interspersed with tears and laughter, it's the only way to cope.”

And these memories of Phil’s funeral.

Well, not actually the funeral, the wake which happened the same night.
I was expected to go.
Bigbrother drove me down and dropped me off with “I won’t come in, I’ll come back at closing time.”
There were many many people from the local folk and music scene there .
The Cumberland Arms ran out of beer and had to send down to The Ship for bottles.
The two bars were packed yet there was room for more hugs than I’ve ever known.
Phil’s little cousin became unable to stand so sat holding me with his arms around my waist.
His music partner George stood beside me as bereaved as I and said 
"It's good you're here, people want to see you, you're the nearest thing we have to Phil."
I replied "Oh gosh, I'm Phil's proxy!  I've always wanted to be a proxy."
At which his cousin, ever the St Cuthbert’s school pedant, looked up from under my armpit and said
"No, you're not a proxy.  You're a fetish."

There's no answer to that...

Treasured memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment