Friday 29 July 2022

A Picture of Sartorial Elegance

On the last Wednesday of the month the Ringtons man calls with his basket of tea leaves and bags, ground coffee and beans, biscuits and confectionery.
We never remember it’s Ringtons day so there is always a dash to the door and for Fester to find cash for him.

This month he called halfway through Pointless.

There was a knock at the door.
Ferretfingers stood up and looked out of the window “It’s the Rington’s man.”
Fester “Are you sure?”
Thunderthighs said “Well that’s his van.”
Fester dashed upstairs to the cash stash shouting “Open the door!”
Thunderthighs havered in the hall until I called “Open the door and just tell the Rington’s man your Dad’s gone upstairs for the money.”
“How do I look?” he asked.
“You look beautiful” I replied (he was perfectly tidy in black jeans and a dark green t-shirt).
I heard the door open and his voice saying “My Dad’s gone upstairs for the money” 
then Fester coming down and joining in the conversation.

When Pointless was nearly over and Thunderthighs had returned to the penthouse suite 

I told Fester (who, even on a good day, looks like someone who’s had a bruising encounter with a hedge or two) about the “How do I look?” question.
He looked astonished “What?  He asked that!!  With me in the house?!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment