Monday 11 July 2016

Beige?



This is based on a post in June 2009 with added bits

Number Two Son watched the installation of Mr John Bercow as Speaker of the House of Commons with me on BBC Parliament.  I explained how we were watching a very historical moment:  I told him how the old Speaker was the first one to have been forced out and resigned for hundreds of years; and that this was the first time the Speaker had been chosen in a secret ballot.

“And” I said “Mr Bercow is the first Jewish person ever to be speaker.”

“Jewish” said NTS with interest and curiosity “Is he beige?”

It was one of those times when one looks open mouthed at one's child as it was a total non-sequitor; and there's no point questionning NTS about things because he just shuts down.  NTS doesn't knowingly know any Jewish people but even so why 'beige'? Is it the Beattie BT ads on Youtube?  In which case it should be not beige but taupe.

Anyway ...

Tynemouth MP Alan Campbell is very supportive of the school where both boys went and I am part of the PTA.  Chatting with him whilst collecting a bottle of House of Commons Whisky for the Summer Fair raffle I recounted this tale.

"Beige" mused Mr Campbell "Well I've heard John Bercow called many things before, but never beige."

No comments:

Post a Comment