Saturday 9 July 2016

Letter from home – email update



First posted June 2009
My last blog produced this exchange of emails between my Big Sister and myself (Middle Sister has not yet joined the information superhighway)…

“I read your blog to Middle Sister over the phone - managed to do so without howling, but it was a close thing.  In latter years I didn't open Mum's letters immediately, but used to save and savour the moment after my friend told me it was the thing she most missed since her mother passed away.  I kept some of them, hopefully those which typified her comments on the weather, the state of washing, lovely descriptions of the garden and news of family and friends.
A couple of weeks ago two of my letters written to The Daughter when she was in Australia were in a box of things she was throwing out.  Her dad said she should keep them but she snorted, saying they'd probably be about the weather,etc.  So I read them to her.  First one didn't mention the weather, second started with it and continued with it, by which time we were both crying with laughter and had such fun I could hardly get to the end! 
Texting and emails will stop all that.
Like you, I intend to read my adult life story when I eventually put my box of letters into chronological order.
Thanks for the memories in your blog.
Love,
Big Sister”


“Thanks for that and you are most welcome
When I worked at the PGL Adventure Holiday Camp in the Ardeche I was the only person who wrote and got letters from home.  People noticed me getting mail and after a while insisted that I read them out to them at morning coffee time, despite the fact they had no idea who anyone mentioned in the letters was.  So of course I had to explain and answer questions as I went along.  It got to be quite a ritual.
See if you can get The Daughter to read my blog - she may understand more then
Love
The Baby”


“At the reunion with my college friends last month, we were talking about how our little group always used to read our mums' letters to each other.  Apart from anything else, we got to know their idiosyncrasies plus lots about our families etc. which brought us all closer.  We had many an irreverent laugh too!
I was reminded of doing this when reading mine to The Daughter.  Realisation dawned.  "I'm turning into my mother!" I cried and could hardly carry on as I was convulsed with laughter.
It's comforting to know that we all carry memories of each others' mums around with us and talk about them over forty years later.  And they can still make us laugh!
Love,
Big Sister”


To explain:-

If I was with Mother, and we encountered someone she hadn’t seen for a long time, they would sometimes confuse me with one of my sisters.  To which she would invariably reply “Oh no, this is The Baby.”  Not too bad when you’re 5 but a real pain when you’re a teenager and beyond words in your twenties and thirties.

The Ardeche is in the South of France just North of Provence.

No comments:

Post a Comment