Monday 5 August 2024

The Journey

The Coven 2014

In my second year at university I moved into 16E Richardson Road and formed friendships which last to this day.

Ten years ago we, and other chaplaincy friends decided to get together twice a year in different towns around the country and, except in the time of pestilence, have done so.  
When we met in Newcastle Mr Jeremy dubbed us The Coven.
Sadly we lost Paula in 2019.

From Facebook Archives

5 August 2019 at 20:24 ·

Tomorrow I'm off on a big adventure. 
Driving to Kew on my own.   
It will be bittersweet as I'll be meeting Paula's brother at her flat to collect the things she's left for me and DrD.   
Thing is I've never driven in/through London before.  
I mentioned this to Middle Sister in the weekly phone-call on Sunday and she said 
"Oh you'll be fine…You've driven all over the place…And on your own too." 
I had to smile because she's never learnt to drive and, although she's an intelligent and capable woman, has low self-confidence and suffers from anxiety.  But she's full of confidence about my ability.  
I've printed out maps, road numbers and directions so I should be ok. 
I've used my Nectar points to buy the petrol, and an 8p per litre off voucher.   
Only it wouldn't scan, and typing the code off didn't work either.
"None of these vouchers work" said the fed-up woman in the kiosk "Tell you what, I'll give you 10p off as that's easier to work out."
Who am I to argue with that?
Bess Cavalier Good luck, just take it steady and stop frequently. Which way are you planning to go?
Bentonbag  M1, North Circular, Chiswick High Road, Kew Road, then via Lionsgate Gardens to Lower Mortlake Road.  Fortunately I've wandered around there on foot with Paula, so I've a vague idea of where I'm heading.
Bess Cavalier  I'd stop for a break at Scratchwood services - think they may be called London Gateway now - at the bottom of the M1 before hitting the North Circular.  
If the traffic is bad it could take you some time to get round to Kew.  When Mrs Eft, 
Mrs Fitz and I came home that way last September it took us at least an hour to get back to the M1 from Paula's.
The Niece Well done, remembering the roads is the hardest bit so you'll be fine 👏
Kippa Visit the gardens and relax. On the sunny side of the Pagoda. If the sun is too hot just wander round to the other side.
Mrs Quilt I hadn’t realised that your journey had come round so soon. Your usual good sense will carry you through.  If you do go to the gardens try to visit the Marianne North Pavilion for the paintings. It is gloriously OTT.safe. journey there and back
Mrs Mobilephone Have you got a sat nav? X
Ms Allottment  I have a spare Sat nav I could drop off for you if you would find it helpful. It's not easy to read print outs when you are driving, and there may be road works or other unexpected stuff. Just let me know
DrE  Be prepared for people to sound their horns at you lots!!!  If you find any bondage ribbon the coven may like it if no-one else wants it.  Fond memories.
Two days later
Bentonbag I only got one toot!  Thank you everyone - I managed it!  There were really only 4 road numbers to remember M1, A406 (North Circular Road heading west), A205 Chiswick High Road/Kew Road, A307 Kew Road and once I was at Kew Gardens I knew the way.  Doing it backwards coming home was a bit more of a challenge but I was up and out before 7.30 so traffic was light.  Directional signs and road markings were excellent.
DrE
With the jam-pan, aka cauldron
, sadly the bondage ribbons have gone - unless they're in DrD's box - shall I have a look?
DrE  Leave it and perhaps DrD will have a surprise!! Paula’s mum's jam pan has been well used this summer
Bentonbag  I have Bigg Bear (16E's 21st birthday gift to her) and just made the mistake of breathing in just above his head.  The scent of her flat lingers on him. Tears.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment