Wednesday 11 May 2016

The second story

This tale from October 2007 was simply entititled


Chateau Midden:1

This is the second week I’ve missed Tyne Bridge Morris practice due to family commitments.

Last week I stayed home because Fester, the father of my children, was on his way back from an EU biodiversity meeting in Brussels.  This week is his fault again. 

(Bear in mind whilst reading the following that Fester is a well educated, intelligent man in his late fifties.  He is a BSc, MSc, PhD and Fellow of a scientific society.)

For the past few months Fester’s elbow has been getting bigger.  It gives him a Popeye look.  When he mentioned it to his GP at his regular blood pressure check he was told it was just a bursa (fluid) and not to worry about.

But about a month ago it started getting even bigger and red.
Did he go to the GP as advised?

Then he started complaining of feeling tired and ill, and spent a whole weekend in bed.
Did he go to his GP?

Eventually two white heads appeared at the tip of the elbow and his arm was scarlet half way down to his wrist.  Having once had a carbuncle in a tender place myself I knew what this meant.  But he still wouldn’t go to his GP.

“It’s got a little infected with being scratched by brambles” he says rubbing more Sudocreme into it.

A couple of nights before his daytrip to Brussels he was in the bath and the heads burst.  (Sorry if you’re eating whilst reading this)  White stuff poured out of them.  I have a strong stomach but it made me feel squeamish.  Even so I assisted in squeezing out as much pus as possible before dressing it (you try putting a plaster on your right elbow if you’re right handed).

“Oh” says he “I feel a lot better now that’s out – no need to bother with a doctor – it’ll dry up on it’s own.”

I told him it would come back without antibiotics, I told him it needed dressing and covering (well he was dripping pus), I warned him about septicaemia.  My sister (a retired nurse) spoke darkly about it “getting into the bone.”  All to no avail.

Then a couple of days ago it starts reddening again.

“Oh it’s where it’s been rubbing against my coat”

Yesterday afternoon more white heads and he starts feeling “tired” again.
This morning he finally rings his surgery, sees the practice nurse, gets antibiotics and dressings.

He spent most of this evening in bed.  Which meant I made tea for the boys – chicken nuggets and chips.

About 8pm Number One son was watching tv, Number Two was on the internet and I was on the ‘phone to my sister-in-law discussing our 91 year old Dad’s health.

Suddenly there’s uproar upstairs with Fester shouting “Get to the bathroom” followed by an ominous splatting noise.

Number Two son was being sick - half digested chicken nuggets and chips all over the landing - and in the bath.

So I spent the next little while scraping up and scrubbing down with hot water and disinfectant.  It’s strange how none of the childcare books tell you how to get bits of chicken nugget out of the plug hole (bits of potato mash up and push through).

Of course Fester couldn't do anything about it except say it wasn't the chicken nuggets and chips but had to be a bug.

"I've got diarrhoea myself" he says

I finally reached the end of my tether "Of course you have.  You're festering.  You're infected all over - inside and out.  You should count yourself lucky you haven't got blood poisoning."

Which goes to show you shouldn't make fatuous comments to a woman scrubbing your son’s sick off the landing carpet and trying to stop the recently spayed cat from licking it up.

His reply?

“Yes – but I’m awfully cuddly”

I suppose I should be grateful Number Two got out of the office before heaving so the keyboard is still pristine.  Now that would have been a nightmare to clean. (We have to grasp these little straws of good fortune.)

I’ve had a prophylactic glass of Tia Maria whilst typing this.
It should kill the bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment