Tuesday 31 May 2016

Ghost in the machine

This blog was first posted in August 2008, and I still wonder about this 

Not long after Phil and I moved in together we went on a weekend trip to Edinburgh where, on the spur of the moment, he bought me a claddagh ring.  This is commonly known as an Irish wedding ring;  which it is not. It is a fealty ring originally given by the kings of Donegal to their earls. 
The crown represents loyalty, the hands friendship and the heart love.

I've worn it virtually every day since (swollen fingers allowing) and it is very precious to me.

A couple of weeks ago I felt something strange when drying my hands. The band had broken just behind one of the wrists.  So I took it to H Samuel and asked if they could fix it. I explained it was of little monetary value but of huge sentimental value so it didn't matter if it was a bit of a botched job as long as I could wear it.

The assistant said she would send it to the workshop, they would look at it and to ring on Tuesday for an answer and estimate.  When I rang and was told it would be £19 and I told them to go ahead.

Today I went into H Samuel and handed over the receipt I'd been given when I handed the ring over.

They had fixed it beautifully and my finger is delighted to have it back.

I got my purse out and the assistant tapped the code on the receipt into the till.
"There's nothing to pay" she said.
"But I haven't paid anything" I said "I brought it in for an estimate and haven't been in since"
"Well it's down here as paid."

I was astonished

"Would you like my name and address just to make sure your till isn't out at the end of the day?"
"No. That's fine. The till won't let us go far wrong. Anyway I can't open it and not put money in."

It felt so strange to have something so precious back and not have to pay for it.  I very nearly burst into tears in the shop, muttered “thank you” and left before I did.

So ...
Was it human error or computer error?
Or is Phil still looking out for me somewhere in the electronic ether?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment