Tuesday 3 March 2020

Shrodinger’s Appointment


WEDNESDAY 26TH FEBRUARY
 Back to the RVI for the Fracture Clinic.
Ferret fingers most disappointed when he realised we weren't staying. 
Plaster off, wound checked and cleaned and stitches out.   
Then a new dressing and plaster cast.   
He chose red.

He was brilliant being plastered; it must have been uncomfortable.
He now has to keep his foot elevated.
Next week the same procedure plus X-Rays

 
Despite my telling Patient Transport it would take 2 strong men trained up to handling 25stone people, 2 fit looking women turned up.  They assessed the situation then phoned the office, who sent 2 burly men.  Between them they eventually got him down our surprisingly awkward front steps and out into the ambulance, using a carry chair.

As we were struggling to get him out through the hall Fester came downstairs with the cordless phone for me.  It was the gym Thunderthighs has been going to for the past six months as part of his NHS paid for weight reduction programme.
“Oh God” I exclaimed “What’s he done now?”
“Nothing” was the reply “But we need to talk about ending his sessions and which other local authority gym we can pass him on to.”
I explained the situation and the instructor’s going to ring me again tomorrow.

All the faff getting Ferretfingers onto the ambulance meant we missed our allotted appointment slot.
It didn’t really matter as Patient Transport had rung ahead to explain.
As I was helping hold Ferretfingers still and in position my mobile crowed.
More than once, so it wasn’t a text.
I prised the phone out of my back pocket and answered it ...
To hear an automated voice message from the RVI reminding me of the appointment we were simultaneously missing and attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment