Monday 23 May 2022

I’m Back & Covid Day One

If anyone tries to tell you “Omicron is just like a heavy cold” don’t believe them.
 
It’s three weeks since I first tested positive for Covid.
It was three days before I had the strength to get out of bed and get dressed.
 
The last time I felt that bad was in 2020, when I got a bug and was exhausted after Ferretfingers broke his ankle and we spent a fortnight together in the RVI (me sleeping mostly on the floor).  And, previously, in 2016 when I had a chest infection and during recovery Miss Doozer said 
“Well at least today you can stand up without leaning on a wall.”
 
I spent the recommended five days self-isolating in our bedroom.  Although on the last couple of mornings I woke at dawn desperate for fresh air and crept through the sleeping house and out of the back door: and then had to sit on the windowsill to recover.  The morning I walked to the end of the garden my legs started shaking and I nearly fell over.
It was twelve days before I tested negative.
I still have very little stamina.
 
When I was a student I contracted glandular fever.  For months I would suddenly feel as if someone had taken my batteries out.  This is like that, so something even the least bit energetic and I need to have a lie down.
 
The next few blogs will comprise the Facebook posts I was strong enough to put up (you’ve seen some of it before but persevere), and some other interesting moments worth noting.

Covid Day One Facebook post Monday 2 May 2022 at 19.23

Well folks after a lovely weekend, including yesterday afternoon watching Newcastle Kingsmen dancing in the quad for MayDay, I woke up this morning feeling like a washed out rag, I've lain in bed all day, did a Lateral Flow Test at teatime and it's positive.

I was fine and dandy over the weekend, but today I can hardly walk to the loo without needing a lie down.  I had a bath first thing to see if that would perk me up then spent the next hour or so wrapped in towels in the bed.  I've had the window open all day and didn't feel cold at all. Couldn't keep my eyes open so reading was out.  I've listened and relistened to a lot of podcasts.  In Our Time is particularly somniferous - I still don't know what happened to the Hittites.

Fester has been bringing me cups of tea and lemon tea at regular intervals.

He could tell it was serious when he came in and said 
"The computer's free is you want to fiddle about on it for a bit" 
and I said 
"No" 
and lay back down. 

I'm going to spend as much time as possible self-isolating in the bedroom so won't be looking at emails much.  Phone/text best way to reach me and there will be no facebooking, emails or blogs for a bit.

Thunderthighs went to Sainsbury's on his own and made me a cheese and chutney sandwich for lunch, which I forced down so I had something in my stomach before taking paracetamol.

Squireen  Take care of yourself. It does seem as if it is catching those who have managed to stay clear for over 2 years.

Ms Delune  Sending hugs x ha d it over Easter and knocked me at for 12 days but fine now aside from smell etc x
Mrs Lasagne  Oh Ben I hope you feel well soon ,we have had a fair share of this horrible virus , some really poorly testing positive for 14 days others not so bad those ones had it for a second time ,we seem to be the only ones ( the two oldies) who are still dodging it ! And I really don’t want it ! Get well soon
Burney  I hope you get better soon Ben. Please say hullo to the lads for me.
Ernexdoor  Take care of yourself Ben and lots of rest to recuperate xx knock if you need anything
Mrs MP  I hope your symptoms don’t last too long but you are wise to give into the fatigue. I hope you’re feeling better soon x
Madame Fifi  Take care Ben and I hope you feel better soon. xx
Mrs JJ  Hope you'll feel better soon.
Mrs Recorder  Oh dear! - hope you feel better soon.
Miss Fiddle  I hope Fester and the boys continue to look after you - and look after yourself.
Mrs Leftfoot  Fear not! Child5 and I can come round one evening, and stand outside and serenade you. We will even take requests...something for you to look forward to. Xx
Drummerman  Oh dear: hope you feel better soon.
MissJB  Oh no, hope you feel better soon! Sounds like you are being looked after xxx
Darklady  Poor You Ben!  Hope it doesn’t linger long!  Kind of glad I didn’t make it to May Day Festivities after all!
Mrs Bursar  Get well soon Ben, plenty of rest and fluids.. xx
Birdfoodlady  Big luvs. Get well soon x
Mrs Elswitch  Oh dear. Hope it's not too bad for you. I'm waiting for it to finally catch up with me after all this time xx
Fay  Hope it’s brief and not too nasty for you Benxxx
Mrs PH  Oh no! You too!! I mentioned to Miss GH, a fellow plaguee, that it seems to be grabbing those of us who've been really careful all this time! Hope it's not too severe and the boys don't come down with it too. Take good care and get plenty of rest.
Miss GH  Hope you feel better soon.xx
Mrs Banjoman  It is a bit of a bugger. You manage to avoid it for over 2 years and then the sneaky little blighter catches you out big time. Xx
Mrs Elplates  So sorry to hear you’ve succumbed to the dreaded lergie. We are expecting to catch it anytime, but are keeping our fingers crossed each time we go out. Hope you feel better soon.
Bess Cavalier  Bummer - hope you feel better soon!! So far neither Captain Cavalier nor I have had it.  Fingers crossed it stays that way, touch wood.
Twinny P  Hope you feel better soon and can get back to keeping us all entertained.
Mrs Mobilephone  So sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon xxx
Sandy  Ye'll be reet Bentonbag  Ye'll show t'virus what's what.... it's got some cheek trying to pick on you!
Mrs Lasagne  Hope you feel better soon.
Mrs Poet  Bet Setter Goon, lovely! I just bingewatched Here We Go on BBC2-perfect, possibly
Bazoukiboy  Take care and get well soon.
Mrs LJB  Feel better. It will pass x
Mrs Melodeon  Oh no. Get well soon Ben.
Mrs Marx  Hope it goes away quickly, Ben. Sx
Mrs Whyte  Hope you only get the mild version, try and get plenty of rest and hope you feel better soon xx
Henlady  Get well soon xxx

1 comment: