Friday 21 October 2022

Aberfan Anniversary

May be an image of text that says "12 10 2 Aberfan This clock stopped ticking 13 on the morning of October ÛO 21 1966"

I prefer to keep this blog light hearted, but there are some dates that can and should never be forgotten.

Fifty-six years ago I was ten years old and attending Cwmifor County Primary; a rural two room Victorian Board School, looking very like, although smaller than, the one in Aberfan.
Miss had the Small Class, infants aged 2 to 6 and Master the Big Class of primary pupils aged 7 to 11.
From Facebook Archives
21 October 2011 at 12:47

R.I.P. to all those who lost their lives in the Aberfan disaster, 45 years today....

I remember the look on Master's face when he came into the Big Class after hearing the lunchtime news.  And I remember Mum coming running out when she heard the garden gate clash shut when I got home from school, and throwing her arms around me.   

Now I have my own children I understand why.

Bentonbag  If you're feeling strong google and have a look at 'Close the Coalhouse Door' by Alex Glasgow: the verse about 'bairns inside' is very apt for today.
Tylebach  I will thanks Ben xx
Tylebach  ooof very touching isn't it so sad xx
Fay  I will never forget seeing it on TV as a seven-year-old, and crying and crying about it at bedtime.
Ms Exlibris  Me too Fay
Mrs Westie  Sad day Ben x
Fay  Thanks for reminding us Ben.
Bentonbag Thank Tylebach - I nicked it off her status.  We were at CwmiforCP together so she remembers Master as well.  I remember the news in black & white, but the state of the place and the people I don't think colour would have made any difference, or been applicable somehow.
 

1 comment:

  1. I was in my first week of Teachers' Training College which was very poignant at the time. My brother in law was one of the engineers that worked on making the site safe. Tears in my eyes for that community every year since.

    ReplyDelete