Saturday 1 October 2022

Autumnal Thoughts

Yesterday I had my Covid booster jab at LDNE; I qualify as a Volunteer Outreach Worker (although knit & natter doesn’t feel like work).

The Green Room was given over to a nurse who took all the particulars and the doctor/nurse/pharmacist who did the jab.
Filling the form the nurse asked for my date of birth.
“Twenty three nine fifty six”
“Oh so you’re a pensioner.”
“Yes since last Friday.”

The thing is  'a pensioner' is not something I ever imagined myself being.

A pensioner is what my Grandma was …
At a push my Mum and Dad …
Or even, perhaps, but it’s hard to think of, one of my siblings.
But not me
Not my cohort of golden girls and boys.

Then I came home to a Facebook post that an old university friend’s funeral is on Friday, describing him as a 'beloved grandad'.

When I last saw him we were in our twenties and he and his wife had recently had their second baby.

Tempus fugit and those rosebuds won’t gather themselves.

 

1 comment: