Friday 13 September 2024

Royally Virtue Signalling

From Facebook Archives

13 September 2022 at 09.09

Thunderthighs does want to go to the gym; however he doesn't want to watch endless stuff about The Queen while he exercises.
"Why would I watch something that's got nothing to do with me?"
Apparently the screen is placed where he cannot avoid seeing it.
Not sure why a gym needs a tv anyway but I've warned him that if he complains he'll get 
"Show respect" and "she's done so much for the country" etc etc and it will end up in argument.
Sorry but…
What a bloody country we've become.
Mrs Poet  Absolutely!
Labourlad  Cannot believe we still live in 1960s Benny Hill farce
Later
Bentonbag  Thunderthighs was back when we got in from Ouseburn Farm so I asked how it went at the gym.
"I did as much as I could do and then got out as fast as possible."
"Was the telly on?"
"Yes"
"Did you say anything?"
"No"
So at least he followed my advice, for once.
Miss Doozer  What happened tp endless MTV on loop? Used to love that at the gym.
Bentonbag  It's a North Tyneside Council gym, very good in all respects, most of the time...
Mrs Poet  Would love to share your post, Ben.  But…over to you.  Can anonymise if wished.x
Bentonbag  Feel free, people who know me probably know how I feel and for the rest it's like my (police officer) Uncle Laurie said "It's a case of mind over matter, if you don't mind they don't matter."

 13 September 2022 at 14.25

I love the way firms are putting up posts saying 
"We are closed on Monday to allow staff to pay their respects to the Queen".
Aye - sitting in front of the telly!
Darklady  Unfair... they usually don’t get Bank Holidays Off!
Plus most people will be glued to TV!
It’s a once in a Lifetime Event...Just Saying
Mr E Twin  Whose lifetime?  Charles is 73.  The next royal handover will probably be around 20-25 years’ time

14 September 2022 at 13.16

I wish organisations would stop saying "to allow our staff to pay tribute" 
when they really mean "to allow our staff to watch the funeral on the television."
Also "We would like to express our condolences to the Royal Family"
Are any of the Royal Family likely to be, for example, going into Byker Morrisons?
Or looking at websites.
It's the epitome of being seen to do something - or in other words virtue signaling.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment