Saturday 6 February 2021

Cold Caller #10 Prove It

 From Facebook Archives

6 February 2017 at 19:07  ·

For the past few days someone purporting to be from Virgin Media has been trying to contact me on my mobile phone. 
This afternoon I eventually agreed to speak to him, on what sounded like a line from Asia.
"You have been with Virgin for a long time and there are special rewards for you.  Ok.  Just to prove I am talking to the right person can you give me the first line of your address?"
"No."
"No!?!"
"No. You rang me.  I don't know whether you are really from Virgin.  You should prove to me who you are.  You tell me the first line of my address."
"But I can't do that.  We're not allowed to do that."
"Well I don't give any personal details over the phone.  You're a complete stranger to me.  If Virgin have any special offers to give me they can put it in writing."

The thing is, my mobile is O2 not Virgin.
Virgin does my landline.
If they want to speak to me they can call me on that.
Or include it in my emailed invoice.

FifiD  I had the same thing. I'm with O2 too X

The Squireen  Virgin usually post offers to you or grab you when you ring them.
Mrs Lasagne  You did exactly the right thing so many scams around Ben xxx
PH  There are still too many of these going on.  I had one last week saying they were taking over my landline rental and that it would be cheaper.  When I wouldn't give my details and put the phone down they rang back!!  It's maybe a genuine deal but we shouldn't be being asked for our details by legitimate companies.
Mr Melodeon  I had a similar one claiming to be from Talktalk two days running.   
I told him 'this is a scam. I have your number and reported it.  You are being investigated as I speak'.  I've not had a call since! It seems to have worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment