Friday 19 February 2021

Housework

 From Facebook archives

19 February 2010 at 11:57 ·

Now he's 13 Thunderthighs has decided he no longer wants Thomas the Tank Engine posters on the fitted wardrobe doors.  Spending my day on a chair wiping the doors down with dilute parazone to kill the mould that grew behind them.

Ms Tylebach glad it isn't just me then xxx

19 February 2010 at 16:19 ·

I’ve been distracted by looking through a box of old letters I wrote home - one from 1984 mentioning The Squireen & Sandy and housework had me in fits.

The Squireen  What is housework?
The Goddaughter  What you did to the living room
The Squireen  I threw out the rubbish that is not proper housework
The Goddaughter  You hoovered too
 

Post scripts by way of illumination

The Squireen and I shared a flat for some five years until she became engaged to Sandy; 

the Goddaughter is their firstborn.  
We have a similar attitude to housework.
On a visit my mother once asked "Who does the dusting?"
"Nobody."
"Obviously.  You should have a rota for the housework."
When I reported this conversation to The Squireen we both fell about laughing.

Mum required her children to write home regularly (preferably weekly).  

She kept all the letters.   
Clearing the family home my sisters sorted all our letters and we now have a box (or two) each.   
A wonderful archive which, one day, we will sort into chronological order.

I can now hear Mum saying “Aye, when Nelson gets his eye back!”    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment