Wednesday 10 November 2021

Homework

On Garn Goch, overlooking the Towy valley, 30 October 2014

I do my best not to be, and hate being, a ‘helicopter parent’ but sometimes needs must …
From Facebook archives …

feeling fed up. 10 November 2014 at 19:16

Just sent this email to Thunderthighs' tutors:

"Just to let you know Thunderthighs’ father and I have started supervising him with his homework.

Being a scientist by profession Fester went through the maths exercises with him over the weekend.

As you might expect with an autistic person it’s not so much the arithmetic that is difficult, it’s working out what from the question what the problem is and what to do with the numbers to solve it.

I’m supervising his English and trying to get him away from simply Googling the questions and then writing answers from that (at least he doesn’t cut and paste).

I’m trying to get him to think about the questions for himself by asking him leading questions and getting him to refer to the text whenever possible.

Although I did English Literature GCE O and A levels (1973/5!) we didn’t do The Tempest so I don’t know any of the answers.

I’m also dropping hints about layout and paragraphs.

We’re doing our best NOT to do the work for him, or to spoon-feed him, rather to guide/push/drag him along."

And it's bloody hard work!

I thought I'd finished with homework three or four decades ago.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment