Sunday 22 January 2023

Just Like Mother


A few years ago, on a trip home to Wales, I arranged to meet up with Tylebach at her dad’s house.   

The first thing Idris (RIP) said to me, on opening the door, was “Duw you’re like your mother.”
Previously, possibly at Dad’s 90th birthday do, 
I remarked pithily on some bureaucratic nonsense and the church sexton said “Duw, you don’t just look like your mother, you sound like her too.”

FROM A LETTER TO PAULA

23 January 2019
This morning I wandered, sleep bleary and glassesless, into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and thought 
"My God you look like your Mother".  
 Then thought 
"Well at least you've still got all your own teeth."
Which is exactly the sort of thing she would have said.
Which is why I laughed out loud.

Mrs Leftfoot regularly mocks my habit of suffixing any plans with “if we’re spared”.

One of Mother's (many) sayings was “Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.”
Another was “He who expects nothing is seldom disappointed; and sometimes pleasantly surprised.”

No comments:

Post a Comment