Friday 27 January 2023

Needing Directions

From Facebook Archives
27 January 2017 at 18:45 
This morning I waved Fester off for his weekend with Haymarket
(aka aged rapper dancers let's-get-together-without-it-being-a-funeral group). 
I organised his hotel and yesterday 'we' googlemapped the railway station, hotel and pub where they are meeting, and printed off maps with them on. 
'We' also googled the Wetherspoons for tomorrow's breakfast and I offered to mark the spot on the map. 
"Oh no, I'll be able to find that." 
Half five my mobile rings (why not the land line, so much clearer?) 
"I can't find it" 
"What! The hotel?!" 
"No the pub for tomorrow.  Are you on the machine?  Can you go and look for me?" 
Let's set aside the practicality and joys of trying to describe a map and directions to him over a mobile phone, him being half deaf at the best of times. 
"Aren't you seeing everyone tonight?  Wouldn't it be simpler to ask one of them?" 
"Uh.  Yes.  Suppose so." 
The man has three (count them 3) degrees. 
George Whitegoods, Sheamus Murphy, Mrs Banjoman, Gin Tube
One of you take in him hand for me please. 
George Whitegoods  How??? 
Miss GH  It's so nice that things haven't changed after all these years. 
Bess Cavalier  Having worked for a professor of chemical engineering I came to the conclusion that sometimes common sense is in inverse proportion to academic ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment