Sunday 8 January 2023

Enabling

Once upon a time there was an organisation called The Adult Learning Alliance which did various practical classes for people with learning disabilities and autism.

Like many other people using this service Ferretfingers needed someone to transport him to the college and to stay nearby to handle any problems.  As his care package budget did not stretch to cover paid support for this activity I ended up as his ‘enabler’.  
To be fair it got me out of the house and I got to spend time with some pleasant care workers. 
From Facebook Archives
8 January 2019 at 23:17
It's been a funny old day. 
Ferretfingers did Abstract Art unaccompanied this morning; so I got to sit outside the classroom for two hours.  Next week I shall take my knitting, mp3player and book.
This afternoon we tried Textile Art unaccompanied but he decided to get up, walk around and stim, so I went in to keep him on the job.    
In the 90 minutes between classes we had a quick trip to Tesco to get his tv magazines, my lunch (he'd made packed) and a quick scour of the 'best before' and post Xmas offers.    
It looks like this may be the pattern for Tuesdays for the next 12 academic weeks.   
At least I'll get some reading done. 
Mrs Alexander  Sounds like a really good day. Great to see you in Tesco too X 
Woolerwoman  Sounds good. 
Bentonbag  The upside of sitting outside a classroom with nothing to do is that many old messages (both sent and received) got deleted from my mobile and my camera's memory chip got a clear out too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment