Saturday 17 July 2021

"How doth the little busy bee..."

The last time I saw my Uncle Charlie was at a family get together at home in Wales in 1993.  

With him and Auntie Kitty, parents, siblings and cousins there were 14 of us having tea in the living room.  Somehow between the dining chairs, settee and armchairs we all fitted in and got served.  At the time I was embroidering a sampler celebrating Phil’s sister Pat’s Silver Wedding Anniversary, and continued to do sew whilst the conversations went on.

Looking at me Uncle Charlie commented 

How doth the little busy bee 

Improve each shining hour

And gather honey all the day

From every opening flower.” 

I remembered it being (mis) quoted in Alice in Wonderland, you can find the proper version here.

But he was right, I don’t like to sit without doing something useful with my hands …

17 July 2011 at 14:22 ·

As my Dad used to say

"Tell the truth, tell it ever, cost it what it will
He who lies to hide a wrong does the wrong thing still."

17 July 2011 at 17:28 ·

I’ve spent the afternoon repairing trousers - none of them mine.

17 July 2019 at 19:14 ·

I'm trying to find ways of using the many (many many) squares knitted by Miss Gish of LDNE's knit'n'natter group.  
I've made blankets, baby blankets and bunnies, the latter only with white squares.   
The bunnies went well at Easter craft fairs and I wondered about making snowmen for Xmas.   
Here's the prototype, with my iron to give an idea of size. 
Do you think people would buy them for Xmas decorations? 
If so how much do you think they'd be prepared to pay? 
Should he have a hat as well as a scarf? 
I've made him a little hat and he definitely looks better with it. 

Mrs Quilt Far better with the hat.


 

Between July and Christmas 2019 I made lots and lots of snowmen, some were even sold, and there will be more sold again if craft fairs are ever allowed.

And if you’re thinking “Christmas stuff in July?!?”

Well I used to work in PR for a shopping mall and all the Christmas advertising was booked by the end of August, and, once the boys were born, I used to see most of my family in October half term and give them their Christmas gifts then – it saved a fortune on postage.

No comments:

Post a Comment