Tuesday 27 July 2021

Wedding Lines

 

I was first married to Phil in October 1990.
Cancer claimed him in September 1992, two weeks before our second wedding anniversary.   
All those words and good wishes from so many people, and that happened.   
I couldn’t bear to hear wedding services, even fictional ones on tv reduced me to tears of … What?  Envy?  Anger?  Resentment?  
Actually saying them again would have been a real problem.

After the boys were born the subject of marriage would occasionally come up in a somewhat desultory manner, much to the amusement of Bazoukiboy at Christmas dinner.

Then Fester’s Littlebrother dropped dead and concentrated the mind on mortality and the necessity of having property properly organised ‘just in case’.

 

From Facebook archives …

23 July 2013 at 20:27 ·

Twenty years to the day that Fester's charm offensive finally succeeded we are married at North Shields Registry Office.
Neither of us wanted a big do:  
him because he hates ceremony and me because I didn't want to deal with the emotions of a roomful of people all thinking "I hope this one doesn't go and die on her" or things to that effect.
Also, last week, Ferretfingers looked at me and said " Sienna Pond will be looking after me on the wedding day." 
He looked really anxious when I said No. 

Then I realised why.
I told him it would be just Mummy, Daddy, Ferretfingers, Thunderthighs, Mrs Quilt and Bazoukiboy.
"No people, no music, no fuss."

He's come up to me every day since, looked me in the eye and repeated 

"No people, no music, no fuss" just to be sure.

So we all had a lovely day, and a lovely lunch at the Wooden Doll.

Thank you Mr Quilt for the photos and video.

23 July 2014 at 11:37 · ·

Fester is feeling quite smug because he's given me a card for our wedding anniversary, and I didn't get him one!

McChurch Ben, I have a secret network of agents who remind me when my wedding anniversary is coming up.  Still don`t get it right every time.
Henlady My late husband had one which he kept in a drawer and brought it out each year- when we remembered our anniversary.

 

 

PS Mrs Leftfoot is now going to upbraid me once again for not inviting her to be my bridesmaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment