Thursday 29 July 2021

Form Filling Blues #2

If you have a disabled child you end up doing a lot of form filling then when they reach adulthood you get the opportunity to fill in some more.
As I mentioned previously I hate, loathe and abominate official forms and actually feel physically sick with anxiety when one is put in front of me.
Those newspapers, and people, who claim it's so simple and easy to get benefits should really try filling one of the claim forms for themselves, or someone they love.  Then imagine what it's like being confronted with one on a regular basis. Or being required to fill one in on-line without the technology, skill or mental ability to do so.

From Facebook Archives

27 July 2017

About three weeks ago an envelope addressed to Ferretfingers landed on the map.

A Capability for Work questionnaire from those lovely Jobcentre people with the message

"Fill this in and then we might bring you in for a face to face assessment".

So I rang his Enablement Officer who, God bless him, came out, metaphorically patted my hand, said "You can fill that", gave me some pointers and, within a week, hand delivered a 

"To whom it may concern" letter about Ferretfingers from the local authority Community Learning Disability Team (in a nutshell "He's on our books, he's learning disabled and vulnerable").

Finally gird my loins and answer the 20 pages of questions in a way that shows my child at his worst and most disabled.  Scanned them and the Enablement Officer's letter and created a pdf for our reference.

Up to the Post Office to get a proof of postage for the pre-paid envelope.

"I don't blame you love" says the Asian post-master understandingly when I said

"It's not that I don't trust them, it's just that I don't trust them."

Then home to get him to sign the acceptance forms for Adult Learning Allotment Gardening and Recycled Art courses next term.
The good news is Inclusive Trampolining at The Sports Centre is moving to a Wednesday afternoon so he can do that as well as the Art course.
Now to organise a pa for Wednesday morning Art at Norham.
It never stops ...
But God help them if they want to see Ferretfingers face-to-face.

 

 

Post Script - They did not call him in.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment