Friday 24 February 2023

Cold Caller Baiting #24 It's A Hobby

 From Facebook Archives 

24 February 2017 at 10:37 
Just after Emile arrived this morning to take Ferretfingers out the phone rang.
It was an Asian sounding lady who claimed to be called Christine calling on behalf of BT.
Did I realise that every time anybody in the house used the internet there were viruses coming down the line and causing problems with our computers?
I held the receiver slightly away from my ear so Emile could hear.
"What's that to do with us?  We aren't with BT."
"Ah but madame, BT controls all the internet services in the UK."
"So why did my internet service provider go to the bother of cabling our street and bringing cables into our house?"
Christine left the conversation.
Emile was favourably impressed "I hate them.  I admire your fighting back."
I explained that cold caller baiting was one of my hobbies and he went chuckling away with Ferretfingers.
Woolerwoman  It makes you feel better doesn't it but sometimes they either don't understand or don't react - worth doing though.
Mrs Banjoman  Mine was called 'Thomas' and I failed the baiting test because I just hung up. They are a total plague......
Bentonbag  There are minutes of vicious amusement to be had.  I had a Chinese one on for ages by insisting, in Welsh, that she speak to me in Welsh.  Took far longer than I expected for her to give up.
Mrs Banjoman  Ha ha.  Wish I could do that.
Woolerwoman  That's a great idea!  Always meant to learn Gaelic - here's a great incentive.
Bentonbag  I'm sure French, German, Spanish or Latin would work just as well.
Woolerwoman  Or mumbo jumbo probably.  Bet they can't understand a lot of what is being said anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment