Thursday 2 February 2023

Great British Car Journeys

Ardnamurchan Point 2017
I love the Shipping Forecast and Fester and I used to listen to it regularly when we stayed up that late, drifting off to sleep to Sailing By.
I’m particularly fond of the Inshore Waters reports: the litany of 
“Cape Wrath to Rattray Head …
Rattray Head to Berwick upon Tweed” etc.   
At some point in the early teens, 
we decided that we would visit the furthermost points of Great Britain which included some, but not all of the Inshore Waters points; so we decided to visit them too.   
It took a few years of school holiday weekends and weeks but I can say my boys and I have visited every corner of the British mainland.
Then there was this …
From Facebook Archives
2 February 2019 at 23:15 ·
I've watched the first episode of Great British Car Journeys: Christopher Timothy and  Peter Davison driving from Inverness to the Isle of Skye via 'militaryroads' mostly single track with passing places and the Glenelg ferry.   
Two things.  
I think I've driven most of those roads either with Phil or Fester.  
Also I've driven on roads as bad as the worst one taking Fester to beetle sites, or on our Shipping Forecast Inshore Waters points journeys.  Ardnamurchan Point and Rattray Head were particularly interesting.
After tea I watched the recording with Fester.   
Thunderthighs chimes in "I want to do that drive and go on that ferry."   
Fester goes "Well it's a while since we went up that way."
Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy.
Bess Cavalier  Mind you, we said the same!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment