Friday 3 February 2023

Thank You For The Music

When Phil died he left six linear feet of vinyl LP albums (ask your parents children) as well as scores of CDs.  Some went to friends but there were far more than I could ever sort through or listen to; and to be honest some I wouldn’t want to listen to anyway.

Some nineteen years after he passed away I finally got around to passing them on. 
From Facebook archives.
3 February 2011 at 16:09 
Have just had a lovely afternoon with the guy from Steel Wheels going through all Phil's vinyl and cds.  He's given me a fair price for them and Steel Wheels now has the basis of a damn good folk section.
I still have the classicals and ones with sentimental attachments.
Coincidentally he paid me exactly the same amount I recently paid Will Fixit to have the slates fixed and replaced after the snow. Anyone else think Phil is still looking after me?
Fifi D  For sure!!!! Xxx
Fay  Phil just crossed my mind today...
Dulcima  The time has just come round again for members of Nonsuch Dulcimer Club to pay their subs, and write a paragraph for the members' directory.  I mentioned Phil's dulcimer in my paragraph.
Bentonbag  The more I think about it the more I think Phil would be really chuffed at the thought of being the basis of a Steel Wheels folk section.  If the albums had gone to the Folk Degree Library then they might have been useful, but they wouldn't have been as cherished or appreciated as if someone paid money for them.  Also there a chance they might raise the interest and possibly convert a non-folkie.

🪕🪕🪕

Something that sticks in my memory: after closely examining two or three albums, the buyer said, with respect in his voice, “This was a guy who really cherished and looked after his records, I don’t need to check the condition of any more, they’ll be fine.”

There will be no Tale tomorrow (Saturday)

No comments:

Post a Comment