Tuesday 4 April 2023

Sensible V Catastrophic Brains

I am blessed with wise and reassuring friends.
From Facebook Archives
4 April 2019 at 11:05
OK hivemind I'm in need of reassurance. 
Ferretfingers had his annual medical recently and bloods taken on Tuesday because the GP was anxious about his obesity. 
Just got a phonecall from the practice asking me to make an appointment for him when same GP is back from her holidays.
My sensible brain is saying "if it was something really bad they'd ask you to come in ASAP." 
My mother's emotional catastrophic brain is going off into all sorts of horrible places. 
Help.
Mrs Poet  Sensible brain is right. Absolutely. Good they want to start getting him sorted.
Ms Delune  Sensible brain right, it'll either be a lecture about his weight or something tiny like almost low iron. 
Drummerman  Sensible brain rules.
Mr Mull  Of course you'll be concerned - you have spent their whole life being concerned for them, don't be too hard on yourself! Equally the sensible brain is quite correct, if it was anything in need of urgent treatment they'd have said. 
Greatest likelihood is it is to chat over the blood test results and other matters. 
I can almost hear the doctor saying: "Well, his blood tests are OK this time but...". 
As someone who is obese too I know the conversations well! 
Pink Kitchen  Definitely agree with all of the above, sensible brain is correct and most likely a discussion about weight, diet, weight loss, exercise, etc. The normal stuff we get from medics when fat. When is the doc back off her holidays? 
Bentonbag April 18th, he has an appointment for 4.30. 
Mrs Lasagne Pink Kitchen, maybe blood sugar is slightly high. But then could just want a talk in general xxxx try not to worry xxx
Pink Kitchen Yep, no major worries then!
Erica It’s always a long wait and time to worry . I would be the same. At least you’re going to see a gp who knows him. Take care.
Woolerwoman Sensible brain needs a cup of tea and a biscuit. If the Dr was worried about obesity prior to the blood test, that will be what he/she wants to talk about. 
Hard not to worry, but you'll know reasonably quickly.xxx
Ozwife That’s a while to wait. I’d want to know Can they not tell you results or which blood test is issue?
Fay I had that message after routine blood tests and it was to tell me my cholesterol reading was up and what I needed to do to bring it down. You’re right, if it was urgent they would get him in straight away xx
Dr E If it was very concerning he would have been referred urgently. As a professional I would say that it isn’t too much of a problem however speaking as a Mum you must be worried. Why not phone up and ask to speak to another GP or practice nurse who will probably give you an indication of the reason for the follow up. It should be written in his notes.
Paganess Everyone's right. Tone down panic to just niggling away in the background. I'm a nurse (well was) so you have to believe me!
Bentonbag Finally worked myself up to phoning the surgery and the lovely receptionist was the one who spoke to me this morning. Had a look at his notes "Mild anaemia, review with the doctor." So I feel mightily relieved. Thank you all for all the caring reassurances (and Sheamus for phoning).
Woolerwoman Glad she told you and that there's nothing to worry about. Great news. xxx
Ms Exlibris Whatever the news it's always less worrying to know! You did absolutely the right thing ringing. And you're quite right immediate appointment or referral is bad news; not "we need to see you" but "it can wait 3 weeks"! Pity we can't train our panic parent mode to accept all of that
Cousin Daisy What a day you have had and thank heaven you feel reassured. Will ring in morning to see if you are about at home. Love hugs
Bentonbag Sorry Daisy I'm out knit&Nattering tomorrow morning - home 1.30 ish
Cousin Daisy Okeedokee. Xxxx
Henlady Phew
Mrs Quilt Only just seen this. I doubt Ferretfingers is a keen eater of dark vegetables or tons of raw brightly coloured fruit etc so I think that was a likely outcome. I suspect that a vitamin C supplement will sort the problem. Easy to sort out I imagine. Love & God bless
Bentonbag Thanks Mrs Quilt. I've just been looking up foods high in iron and he does like baked beans, scrambled eggs, potatoes (usually mashed or chips) and breakfast cereals. So we shall try and make sure he gets plenty of those and possibly a vitC tablet.
Mr Twifty  Concern is right. Measured response is right. You have always had these qualities. You still shine.

1 comment:

  1. This is so moving, Brenda.! A real contribution to understanding motherhood.♥️ I do this kind of dialogue with myself in Tynemouth all the time e.g.Will my 3 estranged daughters relent before I die? Vs. They are just individuating ( late) and getting on in busy lives , so don‘t be so bloody gloomy!

    ReplyDelete