Wednesday 26 April 2023

Cold Caller Baiting #25 You Rang Me...

From Facebook archives
26 April 2017 at 10:20
Mobile rings number, Indian accent, background office noises, asks for me by name, says he's from Virgin and wants to talk about offers on my account.
"Now before we can talk about your account, for security purposes, please can you tell me your postcode and first line of your address."
"No."
"No?"
"How do I know you are actually from Virgin?  You tell me my postcode and address and then we may talk."
"But I can't access your file for your offers without your postcode."
"You rang me.  It's up to you to prove that you are who you say you are, not the other way around."
The call ended shortly thereafter.
I have since rung the number and it was Virgin's sales line.

Shortly thereafter a mobile call from a lad with a Scottish accent from "Utilitor"*.   

He wanted to know if I still used a key for gas and electricity payments.   
The affronted, middle class RP** reply of "I beg your pardon? Do I do what?"
caused a swift "I'm sorry madam we'll take your number off our system."
 
Woolerwoman Very surprised it was actually Virgin!!!  That's a good one to use though this RP customer did rely on a gas key and electric key for many years.  It is a terrible way to have to live.  When I eventually could afford to pay for new meters to change to normal billing, I got free electricity from November to the time in moved house on June.  I don't think it was sheer benevolence on the part of Scottish Power - guilt?

*Am I the only one to think “Utilitor” sounds like a downmarket Marvel superhero?
**Received Pronunciation – aka posh.

No comments:

Post a Comment