For the first time since I bought it for pennies in a Lidl clearance sale in 2006, the amaryllis didn't flower this spring.
Possibly
because it was pot-bound, but also perhaps because it has grown a bulbule.
It hasn't been repotted in years, or watered
in months as I've been waiting for the leaves to die back before repotting, but
they keep going.
Anyway last Saturday I
took the pot down to the pottiserie, took out and separated the bulbs, taking
off a lot of old dry bits and bits of roots and shaking off a lot of exhausted
compost.
The mother bulb is back in her
big terracotta pot with a mix of fresh and old compost.
The baby in a 4inch terracotta pot inside a
planter with new compost.
Both have been
well watered and I shall drought them again in December to see what happens in
the New Year.
One of four things will
happen: they will both thrive; mother bulb with thrive and baby die; or the
other way around; or they'll both perish.
Watch this space.
See also https://bentonbag.blogspot.com/2023/03/blooming-bargain.html

No comments:
Post a Comment