Monday, 14 September 2026

Losing Lisa-cat

From Facebook Archives
14 September 2010 at 10:42
Lisa cat has been killed.  
Just had a knock on the front door - 
my neighbour and a woman in tears - 
Lisa lying dying in the road - 
driver had no chance to stop -  
at least I was there when she went - 
feel awful - 
how do we tell Thunderthighs? 
and comfort him?
Paganess  I'm sooo sorry Ben, it's right to grieve. Have a funeral and then a Thunderthighs style wake?
Bentonbag  I do grieve, she was my familiar, shoulder climber, would come into bed and lie tented under my legs while we did the crossword.   
We nearly didn't get Lisa.
The kitten I wanted had a hernia lump by its navel so Drifter's Reach kept him and we brought her home instead.  
Black cats are not easy to photograph so we don't have many pictures of her.   
Matilda and Felix are both lovely but not the same.
Mrs Frayarn  Oh Ben, I'm so sorry to hear that.  At least you were there and honestly that will be a comfort in the long term, you'll know she didn't go on her own.
We lost our son's cat Scrappy the same way last year.  The husband was with him.   
It would have torn me apart if he'd died on his own.  We sat our son down and told him and let him see Scrappy and he helped organise his wake and final departure.   
It is a family bereavement.  The husband even took the next day off of work.
Strawangel *dislike* Ben, I'm really sorry about Lisa, wish I could give you some advice to help with Thunderthighs😢
Faye  Sorry to hear about Lisa Ben.  It will be upsetting for Thunderthighs whatever you say, I guess.
Gobiron  Unlike
Miss CA Dunn  Poor you, and Lisa, and Thunderthighs- not to mention the woman who knocked her over.  Thinking of you all. xx
Later 18.01
Mrs Frayarn  How is Thunderthighs?
Bentonbag  Getting less emotional but still a bit wobbly - me too. 
We still have Matilda and Felix but I really miss her because she was the littlest and stayed closest and was such a feisty little character.
*** 
As soon as my neighbour and the motorist told me I went and fetched a towel and picked Lisa out of the road.  She was still alive but died a few minutes later as I held her on my lap.   
Before Thunderthighs came home from school I arranged the towel to hide the damaged side of her head and body.
Telling Thunderthighs about it is one of the few occasions that I’ve seen Fester near to tears.
Thunderthighs stroked her one last time before we folded the towel around her and buried her near the apple trees in the back garden with Dominic, Tiddles and Mrs Elswitch’s Bagpuss.
Matilda is up there with them now, under the rhubarb.


No comments:

Post a Comment