Sunday 14 May 2023

Gardening (& Avoiding Eurovision)

The living blind
From Facebook archives*
14 May 2022 at 17.06
So all the Gardeners Delight seedlings have been potted on into pots of two, three and, at the end when I was having to use the bigger pots, five.  Once they've settled down and perked up I shall be ready to pass some on.
Two pots of Cherry tomato have been selected to be part of the living blind in the front bay window once the sill becomes free.  The others, having been on the bedroom windowsill with the window open for a few days, are now hardening off on the pottisserie.…
I got Ferretfingers to empty out last year's potato bins and Fester has pulled up a load of comfrey.
Tomorrow's plan is to shred the comfrey with the electric mower and use it as the base layer for this year's potatoes (chitting away under the sink).  Thunderthighs and I will be off to the Armstrong Allotments shop for more compost (there are peppers and pumpkins to pot on) and 6xhensmanure..
I am now going to spend the rest of the evening sitting down and doing nothing.
Mrs Eastwitch  We'd happily take some seedlings off your hands.  I didn't get around to doing tomatoes this year and our porch is an excellent greenhouse!
Bentonbag  Would you like some pumpkins and peppers too?
Mrs Eastwitch  Yes please. Life has kind of got in the way of gardening this year
Mrs Bursar You can sit and watch Eurovision. xx
Bentonbag  Not on your nellie, and not in this house.  It was a 1940s Tyrone Power film (Crash Dive), followed by The Brokenwood Mysteries and Maigret (original with Rupert Davies, you're too young).  Thank the Lord for Tivo boxes.
Tonight I shall be watching series 1 of The Saint, amongst other ancient things.
Mrs Quilt  Can I have a cherry tomato if you have any spare?  I bought a Gaillardia at Clousden Drive Allotment Sale this morning - they were having a labelling crisis.  Several similar plants had been labelled as the same.  A young woman took me behind the stalls to show me the pond plant that she had supplied.  Hers were nibbled, Peter had given me a large clump years ago, mine got eaten!  I've only got conical pond snails and frogs that I know of!
Bentonbag  Certainly.  Would you like a Gardner's Delight, capsicum pepper (this year's experiment) and/or pumpkin plant?  They're fun; if they take off they wander all over the garden.
Mrs Quilt  Ah now all but one of my French bean seeds failed, would the pumpkin climb an obelisk?  Definitely yes please to the capsicum and tomato, xx
Bentonbag  It might, they regularly climb up our fence and one set off across the garage roof, but they're quite contrary and will go where they will.
McChurch  As the complete opposite of a horny-handed son of the soil, I’ve no idea what all this means, but you’re obviously feeling better and that is inspiring me to go to a session next Thursday and break six months of social isolation.
Bentonbag  None of this was done with anyone outside the household ... and I am trying to pace myself as advised.
 
*Posted the day after I finally tested negative but was still recovering from the global pestilence.

No comments:

Post a Comment