Sunday 7 May 2023

Coming Of Age Connections

I was brought up in Carmarthenshire in a bungalow where we could see the house Dad was born in from the back garden. I now live about five minutes’ walk from where Mum was born. 
Town Farm Cottages were demolished in the 1960s.
I always feel a little frisson of familiarity walking past where they were; although everything is much smaller than in my memory of early childhood visits.
The church lies between my house and Mum’s birthplace. 
From Facebook archives
7 May 2015 at 16:30 
The boys have voted in their first General Election. 
This is the church where their maternal Grandmother, her siblings, an uncle and aunt and some cousins were christened.  Where their Great Grandmother became a Roman Catholic (according to family legend when her youngest son received his first Holy Communion) and her funeral took place far too soon.  Where their Great Aunt and Great Uncles were married, their maternal Grandparents were married in 1941 and celebrated their Golden Wedding.
There are probably other connections of which I wot not.

No comments:

Post a Comment