Saturday 13 May 2023

Farewell McChurch


I am using McChurch’s blog-alias in this post; those who knew him will know, those that don’t have no need to know.

I first met McChurch in early 1994 when I went up with Fester on a Kingsman rapper weekend trip to Glasgow.  Fester and I were some of those staying with Mr & Mrs McChurch.  I was just entering the second trimester of carrying Ferretfingers and was consequently feeling nauseated most of the time.  All the pubs seemed painfully noisy and, on the Sunday lunchtime, Fester brought me a Scotch pie that turned my stomach.  This has given me a somewhat jaded view of Glasgow, but not of the people, especially the McChurchs. 

 
McChurch stayed with us on one of his music and dance trips to Newcastle.

I knew him best on and from Facebook.
He was ex-Navy, I’m from an RAF family.
We had compatible senses of humour, which occasionally led to some surreal threads.
Regular readers may have noticed his comments under my Facebook posts.

I’m sad to say that McChurch passed away last weekend, after a long battle with a hospital acquired infection.

His family’s message to his friends said
“He had a colourful and conspicuous life and was greatly admired by those who knew him.  His achievements and friendships are too many to mention, but suffice it to say he didn't go through this life unnoticed and has subsequently left an irreparable hole in the lives of those who were close to him.  Sometimes there are just simply no words.  
So we ask you now... the next time you have a drink, strike up a tune, dance a jig or recount a tale, to raise a glass to a larger than life husband, father, grandfather and friend. "Here's tae us! Wha's like us? Gey few, and they're a' deid!""

I’ve no doubt more of his comments will rise to the surface as I work through the Facebook Archives, and I will smile as I read them. 

I hope you do to.

No comments:

Post a Comment