Monday 8 May 2023

Snail Tale

Having lost too many seedlings about this time of year, if it’s mild and humid, I start a nightly snail hunt armed with a torch and trug.
From Facebook Archives
8 May 2018 at 23.00
Tonight's snail score:
5 at teatime just after it rained and when it was still light
32 just now on a torchlit walk around the garden and down the drive
about six trodden on and crunched in the dark.
Four frogs in the pond and one or two crawling around the undergrowth; hopefully they'll get those little black sluggy bastards.
Mrs Banjoman  Nothing seems to get the black slimy gits. I was in the hardware store today and the chap in front was buying slug killer.  We chatted as you do and he could not believe that he needed it for a third floor roof garden but they had already eaten half an hosta.  The bastards......
Gin Tube No life rights for snails then... ?
Bentonbag I don't kill them, I put them in the garden recycling wheely bin and the council take them away to their compost corner. What happens next I wot not.
Mrs Bamjoman  When I was a child I would collect the snails from our garden in a bucket and then put them over next door’s Fence. This went down very well.........
Bentonbag The thing is they come back if you don't send them far enough. 
There was a Citizens' Science project where a woman put different coloured nail-varnish on snails identifying how far away she'd carried them. I can't remember the distances (half a mile?) but she had to take them a surprisingly long way before they'd give up coming back.
As a child I would crack and peel the shell off (like a hard boiled egg) to see what was inside/underneath.  Disappointed it wasn't a slug but just a very soft shell.   
Maybe it's karma that they've been invading my garden for the past decade or two.

 πŸŒπŸŒπŸŒ

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/16/snails-homing-instinct-overcome-move-20-metres-away

No comments:

Post a Comment