Friday 9 December 2022

Gruesome Bird Tale

 

Don’t say you haven’t been warned

From Facebook Archives…

9 December 2018 at 16:17 ·

Waiting for the bus in Blackett St, I noticed a crow approach a dead pigeon, and proceed to pluck it prior to having a snack. They're not called carrion crows for nothing.  The other pigeons seemed unperturbed.

 

McChurch  Well, no-one likes a mouthful of feathers. 
Bentonbag  The first bird I noticed having a go was a herring gull pulling the body about, but it obviously saw I was getting my camera out and flew off.  Either that or it realised not even it could swallow that much in one go.  Not that long ago I spotted a magpie swallowing, whole, a mouse the cat had left on the lawn.
 McChurch  Gulls tend to go for the quick gulp approach because, I suppose, they are programmed to eat on the wing at sea.  Bored sailors of my acquaintance used to entertain themselves by seeing what they could fool gulls into catching.  They like sardines but the bird I saw catch a tin of same, circled round and dropped it on a startled `tiffy on the SeaCat deck.
Smarter than you think.
Bentonbag  Sorry my knowledge of naval lingo is inadequate: what's a 'tiffy? 
McChurch  Artificer (Tech Guy).  He was servicing a missile launcher.
For years he told people a bird dropped a tin of sardines on him and they all pretended not to believe him.  He ate the sardines

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment