Sunday 4 December 2022

Six Degrees of Separation#2

I believe this episode of the documentary My Grandparents' War is still available on Channel4's on demand service
From Facebook Archives

4 December 2019 at 16:50  
My sister just emailed me this cutting. Mr Booth taught me maths at Llandeilo Grammar and Tregib Comprehensive School, and was one of my favourite teachers. Many pupils found him difficult, but that story may go some way to explaining why he was how he was (didn't suffer fools gladly) 

Mab Meister  Very enjoyable read, Bentonbag, whose the teacher’s son that knew all the answers. PD possibly.
Bentonbag  Correct
Bess Cavalier  Wish he’d taught me maths, particularly geometry, I might have passed my O Level Maths!
Miss Drew  ‘Stand up all those in cloud cuckoo land’ ...
Bentonbag  "If I trip over that briefcase again it and its owner are going out of the window."  Form 3.  We were on the first floor.
Miss Stephenson  He was (one of) my favourite teacher!
Bentonbag Henffrind just emailed me this
"Strangely I got on okay with Mr Booth and his methods and thinking suited me.   
There was something about him that made you stick with a problem until you solved it.  I still remember you suddenly stopping in your tracks when you had written "unless they go broody" in your maths book and not rubbed it out (when we had a problem about x hens laying y eggs in z days).  He taught us through two other lessons and a whole lesson with him before making a comment."
Tylebach  Stop scribing you Pharisees!!

Post Script

Thinking Carey Mulligan might like to read these stories about her grandfather I emailed Kermode and Mayo’s Film Review (which was then on BBC5Live) with the links and an explanation.
A few days later the most Welsh thing happened.
Middlesister phoned and said “Mr Booth’s son wants to talk to you, here’s his phone number.”
So I phoned him.
After saying he’d read the blogs he said “I’m more your Bigsister’s age but I knew your Middlesister was friends with Miss Venray-that-was and that Miss Venray was friends with Joseph Cwmifor.  Do you know him?”
“Well I knew his grampa Old Joseph Cwmifor, his sister and brother-in-law were neighbours and great friends of Mum and Dad.  When I was very little, he used to sometimes give his niece and me a lift up the hill to Cwmifor primary school.”
“Ah yes.  Anyway I phoned Joseph and asked him if he had your sister or Miss Venray’s number.  He had Miss Venray’s and she gave me your sister’s number, who said she’d give you mine.”
I would say ‘only in Llandeilo’ but I suspect many and more rural communities have these links of friendship and family.
I never discovered if Carey Mulligan did read the blogs. 
If she did I hope she learnt a little about her grandfather, because her documentary taught us so much about our maths master.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment