Monday 26 December 2022

Angel Chimes

We’ve developed a tradition in Chateau Midden. During the twelve days of Christmas, when it gets dark we have “Candle Time”.  All lights and screens are switched off, the twenty five candles on the mantelpiece are lit and the boys and I sit enjoying the peace and silence.

In the early 1960s Bigsister won a scholarship to study at the Sorbonne for a year.

She brought me back a traditionally dressed doll.  Odette has a blue velvet dress, turquoise silk knickers (you can always tell the quality of a dressed doll by her knickers) and was placed in Granma’s corner cupboard with Myfanwy and Minihaha (a gift from my Canadian GreatAunt) and was only played with after tea.  She now lives in my corner cupboard with a collection of dolls from all over the world (but mainly Europe), gifts from wandering siblings and some I even bought for myself.

Before I was born the family were stationed with the RAF in Germany.  Remembering some of the continental traditions Bigsister brought a set of Angel Chimes from Paris as a Christmas gift for Mum.

They spent many Advents on top of the telly waiting to take their place on the Sunday dinner table.  One candle was lit on the first Sunday of Advent, and one more each subsequent Sunday until on Christmas Day all four were lit and the cherubs flew around belting the bells.

Eventually Mum and Dad went into residential care; the family home had to be cleared and sold.  As I had young children at the time I inherited all the Christmas decorations, including the angel chimes.

The thing holding the little pole to the base came away so they stayed in a drawer for many years until I could work out a way to hold them upright with candles below.

However with the judicious use of a large candle and its holder, and placing of tealights, I’ve got the cherubs chiming again.

You may need to turn the volume up to hear them.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment