Thursday 8 December 2022

Christmas Moon

A black sky with a grey, cratered lunar horizon. A small blue Earth with scattered white clouds is just above the horizon, with about two-thirds of the Earth lit by the Sun and the remainder in darkness.
Earthrise, taken from Apollo 8 astronauts as they circled the moon

 
Last night I went out to a meeting and, as I parked my car, noticed the moon full and bright in the frosty night.
I immediately thought of my Dad.
Back in 1968 I went with him to fetch the Christmas bird from a farm somewhere down the back lanes of Capel Isaac.
With the sun setting so early this time of year it can’t have been very late, but the twelve year old me thought it was; and it felt very exciting.
When we got back to the car Dad pointed up to the sky and said 
“Look Ben.  Can you see it?  The Apollo 8 rocket going around the moon.  See… just by there…”
Of course I couldn’t, but Dad convinced me that he did.
Whenever I see a full moon at Christmastime the memory of that girl and her daddy comes back to me with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment